General Discussion Borrowing Close Ones Money

I am one of those people that if I have anything, I will give it to another person, provided that I still have enough of whatever it is that is asked of me left for myself. I hope that makes sense lol. So if I haven't got much of something, I like to keep it. If the opposite is true, I'll give as long as there is still enough left over for myself too. That way everyone is happy.

I don't have a lot of money these days. So when people ask me to lend money I am always tentative or apprehensive to give it to them. It doesn't matter who it is either. There have been a few times in the past when I have borrowed someone money, they told me they would pay me back as soon as they got paid, and then I call them to see if they want to hang out and I discover that they are in town buying something - clothes or whatever for themselves. And am wondering where the money that they borrowed is.

If I owe someone money as SOON as I get money, I pay them back. Why isn't everyone else the same? It is infuriating lol. Then you have to ask them for the money and it is awkward. Ugh! Have you ever been through something similar?

I don't lend friends money, unless it was only £1 or £2. Whereas to family, i'd lend them anything I don't currently need 'cause I know i'll get it back.

As for borrowing money, I hate owing anyone anything so I don't do it. And exactly! I always have paid it straight back.

Not every one is as good as you Dreek Lass. That's why I never lend out my money. I'd rather just give out the money and not expect it back. People come begging to borrow, but they run away when it's time to pay.

Exactly! That's why I rarely lend out and only to family. I'd never give to friends because you never know if something's going to happen and then BAM they've gone with your money... Never trust anyone :p

I don't lend money, because most of the times people play fool with me and don't pay me back. Some people out there are really shameless! Plus, I feel so bad when I've to remind them to pay me back, but these days I'm on a tight budget as well. So I'm really avoiding to lend money to anyone.

Not every one is as good as you Dreek Lass. That's why I never lend out my money. I'd rather just give out the money and not expect it back. People come begging to borrow, but they run away when it's time to pay.

I wish I was as good as you in that regard lol. I don't ever offer to lend people money. Other people are usually the ones who ask me if they can led some money and I reluctantly say yes depending on if I actually have the money on hand or not.

I just don't see what is so hard about paying people back and sticking to the agreement. Don't borrow the money fi you don't intend to pay it back. I suspect that many relationships have been ruined because of this very topic.

Lending money is such a tricky topic. I am glad no one asks me, the last time someone asked me for money it was already some years ago and it was my brother and he wanted to ask my parents, but they weren't around, so he asked me for my parents later to give it back to me... :D So that is my brother.

Since most of my friends know that I don't have much money, I usually don't have anyone asking me to loan them any money.
I did have one friend that always spent her money, and had no food for herself or her little dog for the last week between pay checks.
Even though she made about four times as much money as I get from my SS retirement, she always spent it the first week, and the second week needed a little bit of cash to make it through the week.
I always was able to give her the $10-20 that she asked for, and she always paid me back as soon as she got paid, because she knew I needed it back, and she also knew that she would want to borrow some again.

After being forced into a situation where I owed someone £25. I can assure you I felt guilty for the whole 4 weeks until I could actually give them the money in real life! I cannot do owe people money.