Animation Does The Drawing Matter?

I am someone that really enjoys cartoons. However there are only select few cartoons that I enjoy and I have figured that part of the reason why I enjoy them so much is because of their drawing styles.

There have been times when I have been bored in the past, and just flicking through the TV channels for something to watch, Sometimes I will stumble across cartoons that I have never sen or watched before, and if the drawing of the cartoon is messy or just no appealing, I will flick over to the next channel. But if the drawing of the cartoon is attractive, I'll watch. I find that the visuals really effect me when it comes to cartoons.

Does anybody else pick and choose which cartons they are going to watch by this method?

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose I could write off a cartoon very quickly if the character designs were too generic. What was the last cartoon you watched? Have you checked out The Legend of Korra?

I suppose I could write off a cartoon very quickly if the character designs were too generic. What was the last cartoon you watched? Have you checked out The Legend of Korra?

I have never heard of the Legend of Kora lol. It sounds like some type of anime? Not sure. But when I was growing up the drawings really mattered to me. If the drawings suck - or they were what I considered to be what I thought sucked - then I wouldn't watch, because I found that I just couldn't get into them. Like Ren and Stimpy for example.

But other cartoons like Recess and Hey Arnold were truer to human life, in my opinion, and so I found it a lot easier to get into those.

Administrator
Staff member
It's an american cartoon. It's the successor to Avatar: The Last Airbender. Both are those cartoons that parents say they're watching with their kids, but they're watching just as much for themselves. Pretty, pretty animation.

It depends, I think, I can watch something with just passable animation if it is good or it suits the style (Aqua Teen Hunger Force) but I can't imagine watching something pretty but boring for very long.

I agree with you. I definitely cannot watch a cartoon or anime if the animation style is hurting my eyes! But as zlemune said, as well, a cartoon or anime will sometimes be an exception is the story line is good or interesting enough. After looking at an unappealing animation for quite sometime, I eventually start to get used to it. But I still am always left wondering, "Is this animation style really so appealing to the creator or other viewers?" It is harsh, but sometimes I cannot help but to think so! Some drawings are just so odd and twisted up looking!

The drawing really does matter but if the story is good and I can definitely make an exception. Like SleeplessMoon above me, if I keep watching the bad animation I start to get use to it (Same thing happens with bad dubbing) but this only happens when the story is really good. It has to keep my attention off the bad animation.

I almost didn't watch As Told By Ginger because I thought that the animation was... sooo ugly. So, so, so ugly! But I loved the stories, I could tell that it had a lot of heart in it. I'm just lucky that I was bored enough one day to not change the channel once I saw its ugly, hideous art style.

Does drawing matter? Well of course! That's one of the main reasons why i watch cartoons in the first place. If the drawing sucks, then I most definitely wouldn't watch it. Well, unless the story is absolutely awesome.

Watching a cartoon with bad drawing is like watching a movie or a TV show with bad actors. :p

I would say that there are four main aspects of an animated show or film that predominately factors into its overall quality. These four factors are the individual qualities of the animation's visuals themselves (i.e. the drawing), the writing of the story being told by the animation, the voice actors portraying the characters, and the animation's score. All four factors are absolutely critical to the animation overall, and if the animation falters in any of these four areas: then the others must be quite strong indeed to compensate!

I feel the exact same way about comic books as well, although in that case the purely auditory factors above do not apply.

Last edited: