General Discussion Threshold For Stress

Ah, but that's the issue, how do you manage to change the perception of things? Talking about sports for example, if it's a crucial part of the game (I play tennis) I get nervous and that doesn't improve my game...

Ah, but that's the issue, how do you manage to change the perception of things? Talking about sports for example, if it's a crucial part of the game (I play tennis) I get nervous and that doesn't improve my game...

I can understand that and relate, though I do perceive the situation differently. I am a squash player and of course there are times, especially when I know my opponent is highly skilled, where I start to feel nervous when we are nearing game point. The reason for the nerves is because I am afraid that I will screw something up, an unforced error or some fluke by my opponent, ultimately, I am afraid and nervous that I might lose the game. My perception can change in an instant if I simply change my state of mind to KNOWING that I WILL WIN. I literally repeat that mantra under my breath, over and over again, I will win, I will win, I will win...and this mantra allows me to be back in the moment, back in the game, no nerves, and usually, I end up winning lol

It's great that you have that confidence, but that relies both on your mind and also on you physical skills, if you didn't had enough game you wouldn't be so confident I think right?

I've noticed in recent years, that my stress threshold has gotten much worse - to the point where I often need a couple drinks to get to sleep at night. One of my previous jobs turned into a total nightmare for me, and the new management was treating me like crap, while I watched all the hard work I had done there over the years get flushed down the drain basically by a new boss who didn't know what he was doing and refused to admit it - blaming everything on everyone else. To make matters worse, I wasn't in a position of being able to move or relocate, so I was stuck there until the company finally went under. I've been a nervous wreck going into interviews now because I don't want to go through that again.

Stress is my biggest enemy. It gets me out of sorts. I feel vulnerable, as it affects my every mood. I have found that quiet time is the best stress reliever. I try to avoid stressful situations. When I am faced with them, I recognize it. I immediately, look for a way to make it go away.

I rarely stress, until it comes to deadlines which I don't think I can meet! *cough* today *cough*

Mine is high at this point. I don't like to be stressed either, which is why I taught myself to strengthen that threshold and get through things much easier. Most of my life, like most people, I just let stress happen, because negative things happen and stress is the natural reaction, nothing you can do about it, just go with it lol. Same with depression etc. I thought the brain controlled us, but it's not the case. It's YOUR brain.. you may not be able to tell it to stop thinking, but you do tell it what to think and how to feel. Initial reactions are normal.. allowing yourself to feel negatives are normal.. but suffering from it or affecting others with it is unnecessary and completely avoidable. I don't allow myself to stress these days.. and it gets easier to do all the time.

I meant I try not to get stressed** Not that I don't get stressed at all, I definitely have a high threshold!

I agree with the above about it being a natural reaction as well, I know how to deal with stress enough anyway.