Batman Vs. Superman

I've been reading about this movie online and I was honestly excited about it until I started seeing nasty things on the internet like Ben Affleck being Batman, which I don't think was a very good idea although I'm willing to go see what he can do with the role. I'm still pretty excited about it though especially after hearing that Superman is apparently going to die in this movie. What are your thoughts on the movie? would it be good or bad in your opinion? :)

Oh wow! When I heard of the title Batman vs Superman, I was hoping it would be based off the comic 'The Dark Knight Returns'. But apparently its not. Hahaha

I really can't picture Ben Affleck as batman although I'm excited to see what he can do with the role. I really hope that he can prove the naysayers wrong! I'd hate to see such a great movie premise go to waste.

batmanvsuperman2TDKR.jpg

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice may not be a direct adaptation of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, but it is clear that it is strongly influenced and inspired by that seminal work.

The Man of Steel sequel was first announced at Comic-Con by directly reading Batman's dialogue from the battle between Superman and Batman from the series' final issue. (Partially seen in the panel shared in the above post by @Leeroy_MY.)

Much more recently, Zack Snyder leak a monochromic photo of Ben Affleck in the Batsuit which strongly resembles Frank Miller's Dark Knight:

ben-affleck-batmanVSsuperman.jpg

Granted, this is a monochromic picture and its actual colours can make a world of difference, positively or negatively. However, in Episode # 168 of his Hollywood Babble-On podcast, Kevin Smith commented upon the colouring of Batman v Superman's Batsuit and confirmed its (frankly obvious) direct inspiration from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns:

"As you may remember I saw a photo of the Batsuit many months ago and a lot of people asked online “is that the picture you saw”? No. That is a very cool picture but that’s not the picture I saw. They put it on a fake rooftop and they lit it and stuff like that, but it was in color and you could see every piece of detail.

I’ve seen some people online go “why is this f***ing suit any different than the Chris Nolan Batsuit it’s all one f***ing color”. It’s like dude that’s a monochrome photo. You know what that means? One chrome. That’s not a representation of what the suit looks like.

So what the suit looks like… and I was always kind of keeping it quiet until they revealed it, but they’ve f***ing revealed it. You can kind of see and you’ve seen some people take the picture and color it online. If you want to see what this f***ing suit looks like, you just go to Frank Miller’s “The Dark Knight Returns”, go to the third book, Hunt the Dark Knight…it’s the exact f***ing outfit he’s wearing. That’s why I hugged that guy all those months ago.”

Smith also went onto suggest that Batman v Superman will feature multiple Batsuits and Batmobiles. So, in addition to the Batsuit and Batmobile depicted in this picture; I'm predicting that we'll also see advanced, heavily armoured versions--again, just like we saw in The Dark Knight Returns.

You can read more, and listen to Episode # 168 of Kevin Smith's Hollywood Babble-On podcast, here.

All of this being said, an awesome still can be taken from a film that itself isn't spectacular and I have significant worries about this film in light of Man of Steel. Regardless, despite my reservations following my general disappointment in- and multiple issues with- Zack Snyder's Man of Steel, I'm looking forward to Batman v Superman!

I'll also add that, if you truly want to see a direct adaptation of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns: you should most definitely check out DC Animated's two-part animated film. The trailers for each part follows below:

While I still prefer reading the Frank Miller's source material for a handful reasons, DC Animation did an absolutely phenomenal job adapting it here and I highly, highly recommend them!

In fact, I highly recommend DC Animation's original movies period, but especially these, Batman: Year One, and Batman: Under the Red Hood!

And finally, I should address the controversial casting of Ben Affleck as our beloved Dark Knight:

I honestly think that many of the people hating on the notion of Ben Affleck donning the cape-and-cowl are being much too harsh and reactionary. Among other things, there are much bigger things to be worried about with respect to this Batman v Superman: whether some of the problems in Man of Steel will be repeated, if Wonder Woman, Cyborg, and others are being shoe-horned into the film to its determinant, if this will be one of those awkward, somewhat unsatisfying in-between films that merely exists to set up the larger Justice League film, etc.

I don't consider Ben Affleck to be nearly as bad as an actor as many proclaim, and moreover the notion of him being unable to act without a thick Bostonian accent that some have suggested is simply untrue. Furthermore, Affleck has performed quite well in several great movies in the past, most notably Good Will Hunting. Most of his less-than-spectacular films were less-than-spectacular for reasons over-and-beyond his performance. Moreover, most of those bad films were some time ago (but not all, e.g. Runner Runner was quite recent). In particular, I actually thought that Affleck was perfectly acceptable in the Daredevil film--it was everything around him that made that film disappointing! The way people talk, you would think that they also cast Jennifer Lopez as Wonder Woman and Al Pacino as Lex Luthor, thereby making it a Gigli reunion!

History was shown that load, bemoaning fan outcry over the casting in Batman films was silenced shortly after outcries eventually saw the final product: namely the casting of Michael Keaton as Batman and Heath Ledger as The Joker. (Whenever a Batman film ended up being a true disaster, it was due to the director far more so than casting.) For these reasons, I'm willing to wait until I actually see Batman v Superman before pre-maturely passing judgement on Affleck's worthiness to don the Batsuit!

However, all that being said, it would be an interesting exercise to ask everyone here who they would like to see don the cape-and-cowl!

I think that the phenomenal actor Jon Hamm (i.e. Mad Men's Don Draper) would make for a fantastic Bruce Wayne, and moreover he has the perfect facial figures and an acceptable build for Batman. Honestly, my only qualm with that hypothetical casting is Jon Hamm's lack of experience with action scenes thus far.

A bit conversely, I think that Jason Statham (of Transporter and Crank fame) has the perfect voice and action experience for playing Batman--but would question if he could pull off Bruce Wayne.

Dredd demonstrated that Karl Urban has the perfect voice, facial figures, and action experience for playing Batman. Moreover, he's proven himself to be a truly versatile character actor and I wouldn't doubt that be could satisfactorily play Bruce Wayne as well. Granted he may be a tad short and lanky, but so was Christian Bale!

Who would you like to see in the Wayne Enterprises' board-room by day and fighting crime in the alleys of Gotham by night?

@aboleth_lich Wow, I watched part I and it completely exceeded my expectations.

Hahaha, I thought animated batman movies sucked after watching 'The Son of Batman'. But that was really good. I didn't know they adapted that arc into animation. Thanks. :)

I'm quite glad that you liked DC Animated's The Dark Knight Returns: Part One @Leeroy_MY! Watch The Dark Knight Returns: Part 2 as well! Just like the graphic novel it's based on, the second half's epicness actually manages to surpass the first's!

I actually have yet to see DC Animated's Son of Batman myself, and thus I can't pass judgement on it. I quite enjoyed Grant Morrison's run on Batman though, which began with Batman and Son story arc that that animated film is based on.

In fact, I'm a bit behind on DC Animated's films in general. The only one's I've seen thus far are Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, Superman: Brainiac, Batman: Under the Red Hood, Batman: Year One, and The Dark Knight Returns: Parts One-Two. Superman: Brainiac was above average, but I thought that the others I mentioned were fantastic! The Dark Knight Returns: Parts One-Two are especially phenomenal!

Hahaaha I've shied away from animated superhero films in the past but I guess I'll get started. Do tell me your opinion on Son of Batman when you do watch it. :p

Ben Affleck as batman....hmm, it'll be like watching Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique/Raven in Days of Future Past for me. It just felt...kind of awkward, don't you think? I just keep thinking "there's too much Katniss Everdeen in there and too little Mystique.".

I'm pretty excited about the Batman vs. Superman movie too but I'm not too thrilled that Ben Affleck is Batman. I just can't see him as Batman. I'm going to watch it anyway and hope that he makes me love it and change my mind completely. Here's hoping Affleck blows the role out of the water.

Ooh this is a tough one, but I think superman takes the cake. He is basically invincible and only has one weakness. I can think of tons that Batman has off the top of my head, lets see: Bullets, Fire, Acid, Other people.