Incest Themed Comic Removed From Kindle Store

Lawrence Chan submitted a new blog post:

Incest Themed Comic Removed From Kindle Store

Apparently fictional incest is among the things Amazon would prefer not to be associated with.

Amazon removed the manga, Imōto Paradise! 2 (Younger Sister Paradise 2), from the Kindle store this Wednesday after the Tokyo Metropolitan Government designated the manga as an "unhealthy publication" under the 2011 revised ordinance regulating the sale of publications depicting adult content regarded as unhealthy to the development of the Tokyo's youth under the age of 18.

Imōto...

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Contributor
You know, from what I saw in stores while I was in Japan, no one was in any hurry to enforce this law (especially as far as homoerotica for women is concerned), so I really wonder how bad this one was to catch the government's attention.

The manga is pretty ecchi, so there's that.
But... I find it rather odd that explicit sex is fine on the Kindle store, but incest is not.
I doubt this is the only comic or book in the store that deals with themes of incest, either.

I've never seen this manga but according to the article it isn't so bad. So I'm thinking why they banned it. Maybe Japan has a rising problem of incest happening in households? Well actually as of lately Japan has acquired that image. A lot of people are actually asking whether incest is a common thing there due to the increasing amount of mangas, anime and games that hold incest themes. As for the reason why explicit sex is fine and incest is not. I guess it's more of a morality issue. Sex is fine everyone does it but incest is "morally wrong." Don't get me wrong I'm not supporting incest nor mocking it. People have their right to choices and I respect that.

If it's a national Ordinance, as in implemented by law and must take legal action... then what can you do?

Personally, though, I'd rather have controversy than censorship. I do believe that media has some effect on the well-being of some people, particularly some groups of society (sexual objectification and marginalizing of women in the media, for example), so I understand where this new Japanese law is coming from... but the thing is, the media itself wouldn't have as much effect if it weren't for the deep-seated undercurrents of the social climate, and that can only be solved by examining that it's there and why it's wrong instead of taking it for granted as normal.

People who happen to read Imoto Paradise and take it for granted that families are a sexual environment between siblings, to the detriment of a child's healthy development and relationships, won't do so because of Imoto Paradise but because there would be no accompanying criticism about, for example, any and all consent issues that would arise when it comes to incest.

Discussion/debate about consent issues in a given media are important, I think. It's about the society surrounding the media rather than how the media affects or influences society without such debate, analysis, and discussion.

Eh, the mangakas or translators will just skip around this ban by changing 'sister' to 'step-sister' or 'mom' to 'step-mom' and rewrite a few lines in to alter the relationship a bit.

Not that we haven't seen them done this before. :confused:

I personally find incest content a bit creepy though....

Eh, the mangakas or translators will just skip around this ban by changing 'sister' to 'step-sister' or 'mom' to 'step-mom' and rewrite a few lines in to alter the relationship a bit.

Not that we haven't seen them done this before. :confused:

I personally find incest content a bit creepy though....
I agree, it is creepy, but there is an audience for it and like you suggest they will find a way around it.