General Discussion Beards- is it time to shave?

I have noticed more and more that men are growing big old mountain man beards. It seems to be a think these days especially with college students. Now I know in some cultures it is a sign of maturity, but seriously some of these guys look like they might have crawled out of a dumpster. Beards- a nice trend or is it time to shave guys? Tell me your thought

I have a beard that I have been growing since October or so. It's been keeping me warm since the temperatures have gone down here in the east coast. I always try to keep my beard at least a little bit groomed though. I tend to start growing these porkchop sideburns that look like I came straight out of the 70s. Not the most pleasant thing to deal with.

I like beards on men because I think it looks sexy, but I am more of a fan of the well-groomed beard. I don't really like the ones that are not well-cared for because you are right it does kind of give that homeless look. I imagine that there are many professions where a beard like that would be considered unprofessional.

To answer the question- please shave! I have never liked facial hair, and although
I admire the down-home values of the latest famous beard-wearers, it does look
ratty. Not to mention aging a person- my cousin is now sporting a beard,
according to the picture he just posted on FB. He is several years younger than I am,
but I swear now he looks much older. Beards are not an enhancement.

I have noticed more and more that men are growing big old mountain man beards. It seems to be a think these days especially with college students. Now I know in some cultures it is a sign of maturity, but seriously some of these guys look like they might have crawled out of a dumpster. Beards- a nice trend or is it time to shave guys? Tell me your thought
I have a beard but I keep it well trimmed. I tried to grow it out, but I just don't have the patiences. I may try it one day in the future.

I blame the Duck Dynasty crew and Whiskey Wars for this trend. Ugh! It's not sexy if a guy looks like Cousin It or an old time mountain man before his yearly bath in spring. If kept well groomed, beards can look good. The current fad of letting it grow wild is just gross. Most guys complain about women not shaving their legs & armpits though so it's only fair women can complain about unkempt facial hair.

It really depends on the person in my opinion. I'm equally attracted to a man with a beard than I am to a man with a clean shaven face. It works for some people and it really doesn't for others. Some guys really look a lot better with a beard.

I don't understand why these young men want to look old. In addition, it looks very fake because it's like Eddie Munster, the kid on the Munsters, growing a beard. These guys are too young to have beards.

Anyhow, since it's so manly, shouldn't it be something someone has to earn by fighting in a war or something? For instance, Lieutenant Dan, the crippled guy on Forrest Gump, obviously went thru hell to earn the right to grow a beard, drink all the time, and visit hookers. :D

Last edited: