Can FPS Be Boring?

Do you ever find yourself being bored of FPS?

The only time I become tired of playing a FPS game is when I'm playing it for multiple hours. What about you guys?

The only time I become tired of playing a FPS game is when I'm playing it for multiple hours.

It's not just FPS games; you can say that about any game or any product. You can only sustain enjoyment of something for so long before you grow increasingly tired of it. There's a common rule of economics called the Law of Diminishing Returns, and it goes something like this:

law-of-diminishing-returns.jpg

When you first get it, you're happy. You expose yourself to it more and become more invested (the first X on the graph). After a certain amount of time has passed, you begin to feel like you've seen it all before. It becomes predictable and you lose interest (the second X on the graph). Then you put it away for a while.

It is true that you can say this about most games. My attention span can be very short. If the game is repetitive then I become tired of it quicker then a game that throws something different at you.