General Discussion Can You Handle The Truth?

We live in a culture that says that it hates fake people, and lies. In almost everything that you watch on TV and from almost everyone that you talk to, you will hear this.

Personally I feel like it is the biggest load of BS ever. As I have gotten older I have come to see that people don't want the truth, because - and sorry to be cliche - they simply cannot handle it a lot of the time. They want to be lied to in order to have their ego preserved.

Do you like to be told the truth all of the time or do you like to be lied to if you cannot handle truth?

I think we live in a world of lies, so I prefer the truth. I see no point in lies if you want to live a simple life, so please give me the truth, I think I can handle it. Some little minor details, sure, I don't care, but the big truths I want to know.

I think we live in a world of lies, so I prefer the truth. I see no point in lies if you want to live a simple life, so please give me the truth, I think I can handle it. Some little minor details, sure, I don't care, but the big truths I want to know.

But then your perception of what might be a big lie as opposed to being a little lie may differ from someone else's perception of what a big lie in comparison to a small lie is, especially if there are emotions involved.

We do live in a world of lies, unfortunately. There are times when even though the truth would be the best thing for all parties involved, you are not allowed to say it because of your position. People want other people to agree with them. That is the motive behind a lot of communication, and when someone tells their truth and it differs from someone else's there is often tension.

Business and money world is based on lies that is a fact for me. Many relations between people are also made of lies and appearances, but I don't want that for me. I agree with what you say, even with my wife sometimes it's better to keep my mouth shut than to say something that might hurt her, but that's a balance we need to reach in our relations right?

Business and money world is based on lies that is a fact for me. Many relations between people are also made of lies and appearances, but I don't want that for me. I agree with what you say, even with my wife sometimes it's better to keep my mouth shut than to say something that might hurt her, but that's a balance we need to reach in our relations right?

and business make the world go around, because they keep our economy circulating, hence why so much of society is based upon social norms that mean that people must be false a lot. I agree that we do need to find balance in our relationships. But that is massively easier said than done. I am close to a few people that I cannot completely be myself with.

It all depends what the subject is, as human beings we can only handle so much truth l think and l also think the truth can get you killed. The saying ignorance is bliss is so true because you don't have to deal with the truth when the truth is so ugly.

and business make the world go around, because they keep our economy circulating, hence why so much of society is based upon social norms that mean that people must be false a lot. I agree that we do need to find balance in our relationships. But that is massively easier said than done. I am close to a few people that I cannot completely be myself with.

I know what you mean, much easier said than done. As everything in life, we need to be lucky to get surrounded by nice people, who knows if we don't get nice inside we attract nice people as well? Just a thought. :)

The key word here is EGO. Not being able to handle the truth is all about your ego protecting itself.

With that said, let me be devils advocate.

Who says that your truth is really true? For example, someone may have a perception of me that is completely false, but in their world, it is the truth about me. If this person decides to indulge me with the truth that he or she perceives of me, and I do not perceive the same reality, then what stops me from disagreeing? Does this truly mean that I can't handle the truth? Or does this mean that I have a different perception?

What I have noticed is this: A persons reaction of what you are telling them about themselves will tell you if your perception of them is the truth, or not.

Also, remember this too, the word truth in itself is very general and can relate to so many different aspects of life. What truth are you referring to? I do not believe anyone on this planet holds absolute truth, and the more people start to realize that, the more people will start to see the actual truth, which is that no one really knows ANYTHING!

It all depends what the subject is, as human beings we can only handle so much truth l think and l also think the truth can get you killed. The saying ignorance is bliss is so true because you don't have to deal with the truth when the truth is so ugly.

I agree with you. This is why some people say truth hurts, but we have to deal with it because that's how we learn from them and how we do to change things.

Well, it's a good perpective here. Some people can really put their finger where it hurts and if it hurts is because we need to change something in ourselves...