Music Do You Play Any Instruments?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dreek Lass, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass
    Expand Collapse

When I was younger I used to play the violin, and I was so excited to begin playing it. We had this music teacher come into our primary school and select a small group of children to play this instrument, and I knew that I would be picked and I was. Turns out that the teacher was a moody bully and I ended up quitting after a while because I couldn't deal with her mood swings anymore.

My father has always played the guitar, and at world class level too. it is a shame that he never made it big, and so he tried to pass this down to me and he got me numerous guitars when I was younger, and I still play to this day. I also play the piano. and I make music using computer software, so I guess the other instrument would be my PC.

Do you play any instruments?

2. zambothegreat

zambothegreat
    Expand Collapse

I play guitar. I'm not so good, but I still enjoy it. I have an electric (Epiphone Special II, pretty cheap, but good starter guitar), and an acoustic. An instrument that I want to get into playing is the Native American flute. The thing is, I would need to have some extra money on the side to buy one because the cheapest ones are around $100. I love the sound they make.

3. lindbergh

lindbergh
    Expand Collapse

I also pay the guitar. I learned to play it when I was in college so that I could impress girls. I loved playing alternative and rock songs. Now that I'm working, I rarely ever touch my guitar. I still know how to play but I no longer know how to play the new songs that have recently been released.

4. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass
    Expand Collapse

Lmao! Why am I not shocked that you picked up a guitar and tried to learn it because you wanted to impress girls? Lmao! Can you sing as well? The voice is, after all, a musical instrument also. And it is a bit unimpressive if you are only playing the guitar and not singing along or humming a tune along with the chords haha!

Some amazing songs to learn would be some of Ben Howard's recent songs. he is an amazing musician.

5. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1
    Expand Collapse

I mainly play guitar, but I originally learnt a bit of piano. Recently I started playing bass guitar as well but I don't own my own so I haven't been able to practice much. Before I moved from where I lived before I'd also started learning drums.

6. ozadin

ozadin
    Expand Collapse

I wish I could play an instrument.

I played the clarinet when I was in school and was completely horrible at it. I couldn't time it correctly, and the sound that came out didn't sound so great. I decided it wasn't my thing after my experience with the clarinet. A few years later, I tried to play the piano. I was dedicated to it for about a week until I figured I was horrible at that instrument as well. I looked at videos, tutorials, I read books on it, yet I could not grasp the concept of how to play the piano. I don't think instruments are for me.

7. SueA555

SueA555
    Expand Collapse

I used to play the piano. I had one in high school, and took lessons. Then I went for years without a piano and got very rusty. I bought one again in my 30s and took lessons. I enjoyed the lessons and I enjoyed the practice. But I needed space in my apartment for other things, so I sold my piano because I'd stopped playing it. I then bought a Yamaha keyboard that had a good sound, and tried to get back to playing. But too many years had gone by. I sounded terrible. And I knew that I would never practice enough to get my piano playing back in shape. It's a lovely instrument and gave me many hours of pleasure.

8. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1
    Expand Collapse

I met the person who originally inspired me to play bass guitar on Sunday, that was pretty cool.

9. Trellum

Trellum
    Expand Collapse

I was learning to play the violin when I was younger :) But I stopped because I wasn't that interested back them (I'm now, but I'm on a budget now!). I'd love to try again in the future, specially seeing my current boyfriend is really into music (he likes to create his own mixes). I think that's something great, because this can be a great outlet you can actually feel proud of!

10. pandandesign

pandandesign
    Expand Collapse

I used to play piano when I was little. I remember my dad worked so hard to buy me a used piano, which I played on it every single day until I no long wanted to play it. I also play the electronic guitar, which was a fun instrument to play on.

11. TheViper

TheViper
    Expand Collapse

When I was in middle school I use to play the violin. Then in high school I started to play the drums. I think I enjoy the drums a lot more than the violin. In fact, I still get together with friends and play a few songs.

12. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass
    Expand Collapse

I think I mentioned that I played the violins already, but I have recently began to get interested in the drums. I can't actually play them or anything, because my ability to milti-task when it is being asked of my in such a demanding manner is not that great. I don't know how on earth other drummers are able to have their foot going, and both of their hands doing completely different tasks.

13. diprod

diprod
    Expand Collapse

I play the keyboards and the guitar. But I actually would like to learn the violin. I feel like it's going to be refreshing and I have always admired violinists. Hopefully one day, I will find a time to get some lessons.

14. SleeplessMoon

SleeplessMoon
    Expand Collapse

I play the guitar as well, among many other instruments. And I must say, the guitar is by far and always will be my favorite! It is my favorite go-to activity when I am feeling stressed. Not only that, but it is a wonderful pass-time for me. Whenever I play the guitar, hours tend to pass by very quickly without me even realizing it! I wish to one day play the violin, as well, diprod. As I find the sounds of the violin to be just as soothing and heavenly. Such a lovely instrument it is. I hope that one day I will be able to find the time to obtain one and teach myself, or take lessons, as well.

15. Leeroy_MY

Leeroy_MY
    Expand Collapse

I play the ukulele! It is a cute little instrument shaped like a guitar but it only has 4 strings! It's really easy to learn to play as well. hahaha

[​IMG]

The thing I like most about ukuleles are how easy it is to carry around and the fact that you can play all the songs that are normally played on the guitar with it too. It was definitely a good investment on my part and the hipster factor is really cool. ;)

16. SleeplessMoon

SleeplessMoon
    Expand Collapse

Ah, how could I forget about these! I love to play the ukulele as well! Along with my soprano sounding voice, these were perfect for me! Haha. At the same time, I love that they come in tenor forms, as well. The sound that emits from them is so cheery, it really is a mood lifter. :)

17. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves
    Expand Collapse

I used to play mandolin when I was younger. Not many bands ever used mandolins, so every time I told some one what I played, I was always met with blank stares. :rolleyes: But, some bands recently have used mandolins in their songs and music videos, so more people know what it is. There are famous songs that you've probably all heard that have mandolins in them. For instance, "The Battle of Evermore" by Led Zeppelin has mandolins in it. Florence + The Machine and Mumford & Sons have used mandolins in their songs before also. I have touched my mandolin in years though, and I never got past the beginners stage. :cool: Maybe I'll picking it up again...

A lot of my friends play ukelele and guitar though.

18. Barbarian

Barbarian
    Expand Collapse

Heh, so many stringed instruments here. Am I the only one around who was into percussion instruments as a kid?

I originally started learning to play the drums as a stress relief method, but I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I anticipated. There's something almost meditative about getting into a rhythm and then adding tweaks and modifying it slightly as you go while remaining in time. I haven't played my set in quite a few years now, unfortunately. While I was in university, I had to leave it behind, and these days I prefer gaming to playing music in my free time.

I gotta say though, nothing is more relaxing when extremely stressed than bashing things as hard as you can with wooden sticks.

19. BluBird

BluBird
    Expand Collapse

Clarinet, Sax(Alto/tenor), Trumpet, Mellophone and French Horn.

My main is the French Horn, so much more difficult than the rest since there are so many partials. It's like singing with no accompaniment, you have to memorize how the notes sound like in order to produce the correct note. Also, the instrument is 30ft long when extended, a lot of air pressure is needed. And it also has the smallest mouth piece of all the brass instrument which means a lot of pain to the lips, so even if you want to practice a lot to get better, you're highly limited in time to the strength of your lips...

20. maryannballeras

maryannballeras
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I do! I'm a huge music fan and that's why I learned how to play a couple of instruments. I play the guitar (acoustic and bass), a little bit of the piano/keyboard, and some basic on the drums as well. I've tried playing the cello but it's a bit difficult. But if I was given the chance, I would love to learn how to play that as well.