Animation Does The Drawing Matter?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dreek Lass, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass
    Expand Collapse

I am someone that really enjoys cartoons. However there are only select few cartoons that I enjoy and I have figured that part of the reason why I enjoy them so much is because of their drawing styles.

There have been times when I have been bored in the past, and just flicking through the TV channels for something to watch, Sometimes I will stumble across cartoons that I have never sen or watched before, and if the drawing of the cartoon is messy or just no appealing, I will flick over to the next channel. But if the drawing of the cartoon is attractive, I'll watch. I find that the visuals really effect me when it comes to cartoons.

Does anybody else pick and choose which cartons they are going to watch by this method?

2. EileenCruz

EileenCruz
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I suppose I could write off a cartoon very quickly if the character designs were too generic. What was the last cartoon you watched? Have you checked out The Legend of Korra?

3. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass
    Expand Collapse

I have never heard of the Legend of Kora lol. It sounds like some type of anime? Not sure. But when I was growing up the drawings really mattered to me. If the drawings suck - or they were what I considered to be what I thought sucked - then I wouldn't watch, because I found that I just couldn't get into them. Like Ren and Stimpy for example.

But other cartoons like Recess and Hey Arnold were truer to human life, in my opinion, and so I found it a lot easier to get into those.

4. EileenCruz

EileenCruz
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

It's an american cartoon. It's the successor to Avatar: The Last Airbender. Both are those cartoons that parents say they're watching with their kids, but they're watching just as much for themselves. Pretty, pretty animation.

5. zlemune

zlemune
    Expand Collapse

It depends, I think, I can watch something with just passable animation if it is good or it suits the style (Aqua Teen Hunger Force) but I can't imagine watching something pretty but boring for very long.

6. SleeplessMoon

SleeplessMoon
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you. I definitely cannot watch a cartoon or anime if the animation style is hurting my eyes! But as zlemune said, as well, a cartoon or anime will sometimes be an exception is the story line is good or interesting enough. After looking at an unappealing animation for quite sometime, I eventually start to get used to it. But I still am always left wondering, "Is this animation style really so appealing to the creator or other viewers?" It is harsh, but sometimes I cannot help but to think so! Some drawings are just so odd and twisted up looking!

7. Suiren

Suiren
    Expand Collapse

The drawing really does matter but if the story is good and I can definitely make an exception. Like SleeplessMoon above me, if I keep watching the bad animation I start to get use to it (Same thing happens with bad dubbing) but this only happens when the story is really good. It has to keep my attention off the bad animation.

8. Faemonic

Faemonic
    Expand Collapse

I almost didn't watch As Told By Ginger because I thought that the animation was... sooo ugly. So, so, so ugly! But I loved the stories, I could tell that it had a lot of heart in it. I'm just lucky that I was bored enough one day to not change the channel once I saw its ugly, hideous art style.

9. lindbergh

lindbergh
    Expand Collapse

Does drawing matter? Well of course! That's one of the main reasons why i watch cartoons in the first place. If the drawing sucks, then I most definitely wouldn't watch it. Well, unless the story is absolutely awesome.

Watching a cartoon with bad drawing is like watching a movie or a TV show with bad actors. :p

10. aboleth_lich

aboleth_lich
    Expand Collapse

I would say that there are four main aspects of an animated show or film that predominately factors into its overall quality. These four factors are the individual qualities of the animation's visuals themselves (i.e. the drawing), the writing of the story being told by the animation, the voice actors portraying the characters, and the animation's score. All four factors are absolutely critical to the animation overall, and if the animation falters in any of these four areas: then the others must be quite strong indeed to compensate!

I feel the exact same way about comic books as well, although in that case the purely auditory factors above do not apply.

#10 aboleth_lich, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  11. Oogles

Oogles
    Expand Collapse

I do admit that I'm a big graphic whore. I wouldn't even touch a show or game that has bad graphics/drawing unless it comes with a lot of recommendations. If you like stunning visuals and all that, then I would recommend you try watching animes. They always have a good drawing style compared to western cartoons. Well at least in my opinion.

12. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1
    Expand Collapse

The graphics mean a lot to me as well ,but I also like a good story line. I will admit the look does draw me in,and thats why I don't watch much adult swim. I know some cartoons are better on there than others, but you have to admit, some of the graphics are low quality, but I'm sure the story line is good on some of them

13. aboleth_lich

aboleth_lich
    Expand Collapse

Actually, I generally find that there's a fair correlation between good animation and good writing in general.

Taking Adult Swim as an example, just consider the two extremes of The Venture Bros and Squidbillies. The Venture Bros is fantastic in every regard, and you can tell that the people behind it truly care about creating a quality satirical cartoon. Squidbillies, on the other hand, is the worst, cheapest, laziest dreck that one could possibly churn out in every regard. The rest of Cartoon Network's programming falls somewhere between those two extremes, but there generally does seem to be a correlation between having good/bad animation to match good/bad writing.

The only instance of having good writing behind bad animation that I can even think of (off the top of my head) would be South Park, especially in its early years. However, even then one could argue that the crude animation helps create the superficial illusion that it is a fairly dumb rude-and-crude show in the vein of Beavis and Butthead (and even that show did have its moments)--but it actually has fairly sharp, biting satire (especially in its later years) once you get past that crude surface level.

14. LitoLawless

LitoLawless
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes it does. There are times when things can be so funny that you can just hear the audio and start cracking up. There are other times when the way the cartoon is drawn really brings it together. It's like a total package of sorts. A lot of the newer cartoons like Adventure Time and Regular Show really thrive because the way they are drawn. I think art style in cartoons was always something that was showcased though.

15. RingoBerry

RingoBerry
    Expand Collapse

Story first and then the drawing. There are lots of new cartoons / animes I never dared watch despite the style of the illustration is really good. I often find myself scrolling for releases of a few years old and managing to find something I like or re-watching shows I enjoyed before.

16. tontondaga

tontondaga
    Expand Collapse

I mostly vote for originality over attractiveness. Sometimes pretty graphics matter to me - at least I want some sort of consistency when it comes to faces - but unless I get a good story, it won't matter in the long run. Maybe that's why I can still be entertained by really old animation. There's plenty of anime moe style where the characters are cutely drawn, but are insipid. The old Sailor Moon series didn't have the best graphics, but the story was entertaining. The remake, Sailor Moon Crystal, had prettier graphics, but the story fell flat. It's the old series I'd watch again, not the new one. Sometimes, the not-pretty visuals help the story along, just as much as the pretty visuals.

17. ptahm22

ptahm22
    Expand Collapse

I personally always go for the storyline. Most of the cartoons with good story lines have appealing graphics. But if they don't I can't rule them out just yet without knowing what the story was about.

18. Alexandoy

Alexandoy
    Expand Collapse

When it comes to cartoons, it is Disney that is tops for me. I don't relish cartoons of one company which I will not name so as not to smear. The animation of Walt Disney cartoons are cool to the eyes which means not lacking but not too much.

19. vinaya

vinaya
    Expand Collapse

A cartoon film needs to have a good graphics. If the graphics is not good, no matter how good a story is, it will never appeal to the audience. There are many cartoon films that do not have good story, however, the graphics in the movie have made them hit. Therefore, drawing is very important.

20. efrain silva

efrain silva
    Expand Collapse

I never thought of this in much detail, but it is absolutely accurate! I prefer to watch cartoons with previously well designed blueprints and graphics. The overall look and feel of the finished film is always as important as the plot itself....