TV and Film Has Reality TV Ruined Television?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dreek Lass, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass Member

I have talked and talked and talked about this with my friends. Back in the day when I was a young child - well, I am not hat old lol. That sounded bad. But when I was younger there were an abundance of fictional TV shows. Dramas, mystery, comedies, thrillers. All sorts of fictional shows and a lot of them were good.

But in this new era of television it seems as if reality TV has taken over. Wherever you turn, there is a reality tv shows on and washed up celebs are getting their own reality shows lol.

Many seem to be like Marmite when it comes to reality TV shows. They either love them or they hate them.

So, in your opinion, has reality TV ruined TV?

2. Jellyfish

Jellyfish Member

Yeah, it was all so much better in the good old days.

Marc Baker likes this.
  3. BigDreamer

BigDreamer New Member

There are too many reality shows that are high lighting people behaving badly. Some of them are not too bad, but the majority are.

Rubymusic1 likes this.
  4. bknight

bknight Member

To be honest I think the major part of the actual and decreasing state of the television is due to reality tv yeah, all people want to watch right now it's the karda$hians and similar, or bimbo shore, can't see what turns people on these kind of programs I mean, I can tolerate the karda$hians, but the shores jesus, it only shows the decreased state of this generation.

5. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1 Member

I really dislike these kind of programs. I mean, fair enough, a one off or maybe a second version, but don't keep them going like Big Brother. That ran it's course years and years ago and should never be allowed to be brought back now. TV companies need to be more creative with these programs. Big Brother is just basically for "poor celebrities" which are out of work now.

6. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass Member

Even though I am a really massive fan of reality television, I can recognize that most of the behavior on most reality television shows is absolutely ridiculous and I wouldn't want my children sitting down and watching most of the shows. Especially the shows that come on MTV and stations like that - like Love and Hip Hop and Basketball Wives. Bad Girls Club. They are just all about fighting and drama, ut negative drama, and manipulation and story lines like that.

Few reality shows are positive shows, and because it is called reality television, it is easy for teenagers and children to think that this is the way that our world really is, when it is not.

7. Fitzythird

Fitzythird Member

I can't say reality t.v. has ruined anything. For one thing, most of those shows are situationally scripted anyway and are not as reality based as they try to come off to be. It's like asking if smartphones have ruined human interaction. It's just an added dimension to communication as reality shows are an added dimension to television. Love it or leave it, reality T.V. doesn't seem to be going anywhere, especially with shows like Duck Dynasty and Deadliest Catch continuing to make big money and big stars out of the cast.

8. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1 Member

Oh yeah, it's only ruined itself. It hasn't ruined any other part of TV in my opinion. Apart from it seems to have taken over some channels like MTV, but then that's been happening for years.

9. tvjunkie

tvjunkie Member

I'm with everyone else on this. Yes, reality TV has ruined TV. I used to be a fan of Big Brother, back in the day when we knew nothing about reality shows. Now, it's all over done, and every other person thinks they can just come up with a reality show and become famous.

10. twistedyees8787

I wouldn't say ruined but it has changed it quite a bit. I hoping that reality comes back to earth and stops being so popular soon. Hopefully this is just a phase.

11. Trellum

Trellum Active Member

Yeah, I hate reality TV, but it seems this kind of ''TV shows'' are becoming more and more popular each day that passes by! Everything started with Jersey Shore for me, and now even Snooki has her own reality show! What's next!? It seems the producers are starting to see reality TV means big bucks fast, and that's the reason I don't see this ugly trend going away anytime soon now!

12. rastergrafx

rastergrafx Member

Did reality TV ruin television? No, the medium was already ruined years earlier when samey sitcoms dominated the airwaves. Reality TV merely replaced it as the popular trend.

13. Marc Baker

Marc Baker New Member

Oh, you have NO idea how much I HATE reality television! It REALLY angers me how TV networks would rather put together something cheap that caters to the lowest common denominator than put together something more worthwhile. It's no wonder I don't watch TV as much as I use to!

14. Josie

Josie Member

People ruined TV. As we all know, popular is what is in demand and there are a lot of trash seeking people out there. Everyone loves a train wreck and that's what most tv is these days. A bunch of non deserving people making millions because people are so brain dead now.

Marc Baker and Dreek Lass like this.
  15. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass Member

There are so may reasons that people are brain dead these day. The stuff that is in our food and water is just one tool that they use to dumb us down into docile zombies. Though, I must admit, I like a bit of reality television. Even when I know that it is scripted and edited to look a certain way. But at the same time, I remain current.

16. TheViper

TheViper Member

Reality TV hasn't ruined television at all. We as people are slowly moving away from watching TV anyway. Most of any content can be found via the internet.

17. Josie

Josie Member

I was watching a little of it still until recently. I'm bored with most tv at the moment, I can't even bring myself to watch the stuff I was catching up on and loved. People are curious about others by nature and reality tv taps into that. It;s like spying.. but the people you're watching are dumb and have lines to remember lol. Or scenarios, whatever.. not sure how they do their thing.

Dreek Lass likes this.
  18. homura

homura New Member

I don't believe that reality TV has ruined television. While there are many low quality shows that have very little to offer in terms of intellectual content, there are still many excellent dramas, comedies, sci-fi shows, and more. Breaking Bad is easily one of the most well-written shows I have ever had the pleasure of watching. It was tense and enthralling from beginning to end, and it was easy to become attached to the characters. Boardwalk Empire, The Sopranos, and Curb Your Enthusiasm are also amazing shows. However, I realize that these are just my opinions and that one man's trash is another man's treasure.