General Discussion Overall health

Most people have health problems here and there, others have health issues that seem to be something more permanent. I belong to the last group, sadly. If I had to rate my overall health right now, I'd probably give it a 2 or a 3, one being really bad and 5 being great.

I try to be positive tho, because you really get nothing by being negative. I'm being so optimistic and open that I've started to give natural supplements a try :) Plus I'm also exercising and eating healthy, just like my doctor recommended me to. So hopely one day I can rate my health with a 4.

What about you guys, how would you rate your overall health? Do you suffer from a chronic disease?

Contributor
As for physical, I'm probably a 2. No smoking or drinking, but I do have some ailments. I got shingles at age 15 (15! Almost unheard of!), dry skin, lactose intolerance (from a childhood injury to boot, not from genetics), irregular months, and vitamin deficiencies- you name it, I might have it. But the big one is hypokalemia, which I unfortunately developed after I moved to Japan. Sucks to live in a fish based society when you don't like fish. I'm overweight too, but I don't look it thankfully. I had to walk a lot so I got some muscles, and we all know muscles weigh more than fat. :D

Mental-wise, I believe I have a few issues. I've scored high on spectrum tests I've given myself (psychology major here), but my family (mother especially) doesn't believe in psychological ailments ("everyone's faking" she says) so I've never been formally tested. Looking back, there were really a lot of clues. Reading books at 3, no friends, uncomfortable with eye contact? Yup

But I'm pretty proud of myself, managing all that with nothing except potassium vitamins and NSAIDs. Japan seems much more accepting of my eccentricity than the US is, so that's a plus. :)

I was a 5 my whole life, until something small happened, I got misdiagnosed (so neglected thereafter) and things progressed from there. I swear if I weren't healthy otherwise, I'd be dead by now. You really do need to stay on top of how you eat; it's everything.

Yeah, I know what you mean! I'm actually having such a hard time with my health right now because I didn't watch what I ate for a really long time. I mean, seriously, some foods can play with the balance of your hormones and being overweight can do the exact same thing. I'm thin now, but I wasn't for a long time!

As for physical, I'm probably a 2. No smoking or drinking, but I do have some ailments. I got shingles at age 15 (15! Almost unheard of!), dry skin, lactose intolerance (from a childhood injury to boot, not from genetics), irregular months, and vitamin deficiencies- you name it, I might have it. But the big one is hypokalemia, which I unfortunately developed after I moved to Japan. Sucks to live in a fish based society when you don't like fish. I'm overweight too, but I don't look it thankfully. I had to walk a lot so I got some muscles, and we all know muscles weigh more than fat. :D

Mental-wise, I believe I have a few issues. I've scored high on spectrum tests I've given myself (psychology major here), but my family (mother especially) doesn't believe in psychological ailments ("everyone's faking" she says) so I've never been formally tested. Looking back, there were really a lot of clues. Reading books at 3, no friends, uncomfortable with eye contact? Yup

But I'm pretty proud of myself, managing all that with nothing except potassium vitamins and NSAIDs. Japan seems much more accepting of my eccentricity than the US is, so that's a plus. :)

I'm sorry to hear that! I really like Japan, but whoa! They are obessed with fish and crustaceans and so on! It gotta be hard to live in a society like that when you don't enjoy fish. Did you move there because of work? Do you have to stay there for too long? I really hope you don't, they really like sushi over there :(

As for eye contact issues! I'm on the same page, I've some issues with eye contact as well. But don't worry ;) This can be improved if you work hard on it :) I have been reading a lot self-help books on how to have a better presence and have an easier time being social. I recommend you to do the same, those books really work. If you are interested let me know! I can give you a small list.

My health currently would be about a 3.5. There a major areas where I need to improve. I have cut out a lot of things but still have certain vices that hold me back.

Good luck with that! Right now I'm also trying to improve, today I actually felt a bit down after getting my lab results. It looks like my glucose levels are on a normal range (thanks to the chromium supplements I take), but other values are really high... *sigh*. I don't know what else to do :(

Contributor
Seriously, I would starve if it weren't for McDonalds and Yoshinoya/Sukiya/Matsuya (beef bowl shops). Japan's diet is based on fish and odd vegetables. They actually use a lot of mushrooms and bean sprouts, which I do like, but most Japanese food tastes weird to me. I'm here for my job, but I get to go home in April (I will have been here a year).

I'm probably somewhere in the middle. I work out frequently and have a decent diet, I never eat gross fast food, and I only occasionally eat junk food, my main problem is I drink a lot of beer. Empty calories sigh.