Video game being addictive

I think video games are definitely addicting. I was addicted to the Xbox Cod series throughout highschool. Looking back, I wish I wasnt, but it made me happy at that time.

I believe they can be addictive if they offer something you can't get in real life. When someone finds it hard to accomplish something in real life or they have lost all direction, games like World Of Warcraft for instance offer that in a virtual world and it is easy to get addicted if that is the case

Like it's already been mentioned, it has to do with with whether or not a person has an addictive personality. The medium is irrelevant. Yes, games can suck time out of your day if they are really fun, but so can anything else if the enjoyment is there. It's one thing to spend a few hours playing a game that you're really into, it's another thing entirely to disregard food, water, and sleep while playing for hours and hours on end. That is not the medium's fault, it is the person's. The same thing could be said about television or the internet.

I remember back around 2000 and I bought Half Life. One night I started playing around 7:00 pm.....the sun coming through the next day told me I had been on a bit too long and should probably reevaluate my game playing habits. Too busy with kids these days to fall into that trap again but wow....I can definitely identify with those who get sucked in.

I remember back around 2000 and I bought Half Life. One night I started playing around 7:00 pm.....the sun coming through the next day told me I had been on a bit too long and should probably reevaluate my game playing habits. Too busy with kids these days to fall into that trap again but wow....I can definitely identify with those who get sucked in.

I definitely feel you on that. Half Life 2 was a huge time suck for me. Back when I used to play FPS games, I would play for hours on end as well. Good thing I don't play them anymore.

It all depends on what your personality is, if you are easily addicted to things then you will obviously be addicted to video games. If you have even an ounce of will power then games arent addictive at all.

Addict - to devote or surrender (oneself) to something habitually or obsessively (like gambling). --> this is according to a Merriam Webster dictionary

So IMO, we can be addicted to gaming if it becomes very habitual or obsessive. I have heard of a gamer who was so addicted to Diablo 3 that he played for 2 days straight. To make the long story short, he died on the 2nd day.

I don't know if they're addicting persay... but many, many video games can become absorptive (?) and drag you in, claim all of your senses and brainspace until you're one with the game and it's hard to pull back out of that. But there are also those who use video games as an escape for a life they're dissatisfied with or miserable in. And it can be hard not to fall into the wide-open, comfortable arms of a video game where for once, you are the hero in your own life.

@ lindbergh - heard about that. Diablo 3 wasn't even that great, I don't get it. :( I'm still a little irritated I paid full price for it and got bored of it after an hour. Two days....? If you have that much of an issue and don't care enough to take care of yourself during your gaming marathon... idk. I don't want to say he deserved it. But his body finally took revenge on him. You really have to take care of yourself when you're sitting for hours at a time playing a game. You need to move around, change position, stay hydrated and eat enough food. Use the bathroom too. Anyone who can't do that while they're playing video games needs to stop playing them until they have enough self-control to do so. >:U Argh, people not taking care of themselves. *shakes a fist at the sky*

I assume that video games can become an addiction if it's seen as your sole source of dopamine-release in life, however that and situations similar to it would be kind of hard to come by.