Books What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caparica007, Oct 21, 2013.

1. caparica007

caparica007 Member

I am reading "Winning Ugly" from Brad Gilbert, a book about the mental side of tennis game. Pretty old book, but a must in my opinion.

What book are you currently reading?

2. ajdunn

ajdunn New Member

"I, The Jury" by Mickey Spillane. I like reading old pulp detective stories and mysteries, so I'm enjoying it so far. Surprised by the level of violence, though. The main character (Mike Hammer) is not so much a detective, but a vigilante sociopath itching to kill people!

3. BioLee

BioLee New Member

I just finished reading Nineteen Eighty-Four. Just today I picked up "A Storm of Swords", as a lover of the TV Show, I couldn't wait any longer and I've started reading every book of the Saga. I do recommend it ALOT if you're already a fan of the show.

zlemune likes this.
  4. shameful

shameful New Member

I'm reading the crystal healing bible which is about healing using crystals and its really intresting, l was not aware of this ancient practice and l might try it one day:)

5. pandandesign

pandandesign Member

I am currently reading "Lock and Key" by Sarah Dessen. It is an Young Adult Contemporary fiction. Sarah Dessen is one of my favorite Young Adult authors. I reay like her writing style, and most of her books are very similar to real life stories.

6. SueA555

SueA555 Member

I'm currently re-reading The Narrows, by Michael Connelly. He is good enough to re-read every few years.

7. SueA555

SueA555 Member

I'm reading The Gods of Guilt by Michael Connelly. I won an advance copy on Goodreads. So far, I'm enjoying it a lot. Full of surprises, and a different look at the legal system.

8. woot223

woot223 New Member

Right now I'm reading A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. Wonderful book about an American Lieutenant serving in the ambulance corps of the Italian Army during World War 1. The story is very dark, all the horrors of war are described in great detail.

9. zlemune

zlemune Member

Just started A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Very different from what I was expecting, but a lot of fun! I forgot how much I like Twain.

10. mickey4533

mickey4533 New Member

I'm currently reading "The fault in our stars" by John Green. It's a pretty sad story about a young girl with a terminal disease that meets a young boy.

11. pandandesign

pandandesign Member

I have heard the book is very good but sad. I have not read it yet, but I will have to check it out soon. Thanks you for the recommendation!

12. zlemune

zlemune Member

Oh! That one is on my to-read pile!

I'm excited to see it's becoming a movie, as well, with that awesome young actress from The Descendants. I need to read the book before that happens, though, might have to move it up the pile just a tad.

13. pandandesign

pandandesign Member

I have heard about "The Descendants". How do you like it?

14. zlemune

zlemune Member

I really liked it, it was a well written movie and superbly acted. Quite thoughtful as well.

The screenplay got an Oscar, and the same director did a bunch of movies I've liked (Election, About Schmidt), he seems to have a good touch with actors and a good eye for human interactions.

15. Oakster

Oakster New Member

I'm on book 5 of the Wheel of Time series, The Fires of Heaven, only 9 more books to go :)

16. pandandesign

pandandesign Member

Oh, I have heard the book is excellent. One of my friends has read it and he says the series is quite good.

17. Elle

Elle New Member

I am currently reading Jeffrey Archer's A Prisoner Of Birth about a man wrongly accused of the murder of his best friend who happens to be the brother of his fiancee'. It's a good story and I'm always sneaking reads between work sessions.

18. Rigo

Rigo New Member

I am reading the Count of Monte Cristo By Dumas. It's by far a popular book, but I recently decided to pick it up through the kindle app. Serial novels are my preference and the author really gets at my gut. Seriously, I do not think that I've grown to hate a character within the span of a few pages. It is that good!

19. Leeroy_MY

Leeroy_MY Member

The 48 laws of power. It is a great book to expand your general knowledge as historical examples are littered everywhere! :D

It is a very interesting read too. Not all of their advises are Machiavellian. :p

20. Tass

Tass New Member

saysomething likes this.