Collectibles What Do You Collect?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tribie, Aug 12, 2013.

1. tribie

tribie
    Expand Collapse

I collect books. When I like an author I buy all the books from that author one by one until my collection is complete. I also collect Harry Potter stuff. Though I haven't added anything to my collection recently, I used to by many HP stuff. I also have a collection of stamps which must be worth a huge amount already considering that there are less and less people sending stuff through snail mail. My husband collects Star Wars stuff and my youngest son collects Lego. What do you collect?

2. lindbergh

lindbergh
    Expand Collapse

Girls? Just kidding. :)

I collected NBA cards, coins, and stamps when I was in grade school and high school. I also loved to collect books when I was in college. But when eBooks came along, I stopped. What I currently collect are movies. I store them on my external hard drive. I also have a huge collection of video games. :)

3. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1
    Expand Collapse

I collect CD's, badges, and Vinyls from my favourite bands, does that count? And set lists/autographs from smaller bands i go to see, especially the handwritten ones.

4. tvjunkie

tvjunkie
    Expand Collapse

I collect stamps - yes I said it, stamps. It's a hobby I started when I was really young and I've never been able to grow out of it. It's a lot harder now with email killing off snail mail, but I still grab whatever I can.

5. twistedyees8787

twistedyees8787
    Expand Collapse

I collect old sports illustrated's and also old new paper clippings of famous sporting events.

Such as when Larry Bird retired, Olympic victory in 1980, Superbowls, World Series, NBA Championships, ect........

6. zambothegreat

zambothegreat
    Expand Collapse

Currently, the only thing I really collect are albums. Whether it's CDs, vinyls, or cassettes. It mainly depends on what is available from any given artist. There are some indie bands that I listen to that can only afford to release their stuff on CD or cassette, and if I like it enough, I'll buy it, regardless of format.

Rubymusic1 likes this.
  7. cg303

cg303
    Expand Collapse

I like to make and collect 1/6 scale action figures. I started back in 2003 as a customizer for a company in Arizona called Cy Toys.
    People would call in and place an order with a description of what they would like to see made, then I would build them a figure based on their specifications and mail it to them. I have polished my skills over the past 10 years and now sell commissions for anywhere from $200-$400.
    It is really fun to do and makes really nice side money.

8. ozadin

ozadin
    Expand Collapse

There was a certain time where I enjoyed collecting game cards. At the time, I was pretty young and I spent money on online currency to make my character look better. It was basically a pay-to-win game and I bought a lot of game cards. After I quit, I wanted to see how much I spent on the game. I won't disclose the amount because the amount is embarrassing, but I have spent well over $100 on the game.

9. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1
    Expand Collapse

I do that too! At least if i go to gigs and they're selling their music anyway.

10. MercyL

MercyL
    Expand Collapse

Outside of dust, my husband collects old Star Trek props. Not "The Next Generation" but the first Star Trek series. We have one of those old pistol grip phasers and a few other items, still in their boxes, stored in the house safe.

I have a nice collection of photos. I have Majel Barret's autographed photo, scored when I spent a whole afternoon running my chainmail table next to her table at Gencon. I even got my name in the Dragon magazine issue covering that event. I have an old autographed photo of Shatner dressed as Kirk, and autographed photos of a couple of the actors who played psi corp agents from Babylon 5.

I have a few others but can't remember them all.

11. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1
    Expand Collapse

I'm saving up to add my latest vinyl to my collection. As long as there's still some left by Monday, I should be fine! *fingers crossed*

I also collect setlists from smaller bands at gigs.

12. SueA555

SueA555
    Expand Collapse

I have a few collections. I have been collecting books since I was a kid, and still reread some of my old favorites. I also collect owls -- not real ones, but artistic ones. I have a collection of David Winter cottages. I also collect tarot decks.

13. Micaela V

Micaela V
    Expand Collapse

My boyfriend is a collector. He is currently collecting anything that is vintage gaming. We've got all of the Nintindo systems already with games for each one. We've got an Atari, which I happen to love, and a Sega system that escapes my head at the moment. We love in a very small apartment with limited space and the man will not stop collecting. At least let us get a larger space to fill! It's alright though. I actually like to play games now, rather than earlier when I dispised playing anything that wasn't Guitar Hero. I'm a professional at that mind you. I guess when you're a girl that was preexposed to video games before hand then it's hard to get your fingers to be coordinated like guys who frequently play games are. I've tried Call of Duty and man does that confuse me. Too many buttons, guns, and ways to die.

14. pftsusan

pftsusan
    Expand Collapse

I collect all my virgin mobile broadband to go and paylo topup cards. My Best Buy points for the Best Buy rewards program.

Then there is the most interesting bizarre collection that I have. That is I collect all the plastic bag keeters from the loaves of bread. These are those little square pieces that keep them closed on the top and fresher. Right now, I have over 1000 of those in different colors.

15. pandandesign

pandandesign
    Expand Collapse

I usually collect hardcover book because the book covers look beautiful in my mini library. It can get quite expensive because each hardcover book is like 20 dollars. I mainly collect the ones I really like or ones that are written by my favorite authors.

16. BioLee

BioLee
    Expand Collapse

I've always like collecting stuff since I was a kid, but when I was arround 14 ( 19 now ) I started enjoying movies alot! So since then I've been collecting dvd's and now blu-rays, currently at 350~ and I'm really proud of it, with some awesome collector's edition ( Like Alien Anthology Head and LoTR collector's edition w/ statues ). I tried collecting games but it's just really hard since most of them are really expensive compared to most movies.

17. ejazu

ejazu
    Expand Collapse

I used to collect video games. Like tons of them ranging from a wide variety of consoles starting from a NES until the Xbox 360. But now I have taken a fancy to Anime figurines. I just found out that they make very high quality character models in Japan. Just ordered a couple of Megahouse One Piece figures. Hope they arrive soon! :D

18. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass
    Expand Collapse

I used collect - as strange as this may sound - wrestling figurines lol. I had dozens and dozens and dozens of them. In fact I still have a lot of them, and they are upstairs somewhere in storage, but I used to be a massive WWE fan as a child, and I collected the rings and the figurines, and before they started making the belts, I made them myself for the figures to wear lol.

I could perhaps sell them and make a lot but I enjoy knowing that I have them.

19. pandandesign

pandandesign
    Expand Collapse

I used to collect hardcover books, which I would spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on them. Now, I don't collect books anymore because books take up a lot of space in my room, which I need to get rid of them soon. Now, I don't collect anything except there's one gadget I am now collecting. Yes, it sounds crazy and strange, but I like collecting good gadgets.

20. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass
    Expand Collapse

I also forgot to mention that I used to collect - well, not used to. I currently collect crystals. I have traded the wrestling figures in for crystals, and I am a lot happier. I love my crystals. I have all sorts, for lots of different uses. Some of them are able to make me feel better simply by just looking at them, which might be considered strange but to each their own lol.