Tech What do you do with your old phone if you buy a new one?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lindbergh, Aug 13, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Member

In another thread, I have asked how often you guys get a new phone. Some have stated once every two years, some said about 3 to 4 years, and some less than two years. Now, my question is, what do you do with your old phone when you get a new one?

2. rzashida

rzashida New Member

I once gave a phone to a place that collected broken Iphones. I can't sell any of the other phones I've had.

3. MissPotato

MissPotato New Member

I almost never get a new phone unless my previous one is broken (or in other times, stolen or lost) - so I guess I don't know what to say here. Lol :D

4. Fitzythird

Fitzythird Member

Hi lindbergh,

Great question and I hopefully have an answer you can get behind. If we donate our unused cell phones to the organization Cell Phones for Soldiers, they extract all useable parts, recycle them and benefit overseas soldiers by sending them calling cards so they can call home. They can connect with family here once in awhile and make spouses, children, sig. others, happy for awhile along with themselves. Here is the link and I hope this guides some folks to do something productive and selfless for those in harm's way, protecting our freedom.
    http://www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com/ There are plenty of other charities out there to donate a phone to if this one isn't a fit. Small sacrifice for something you no longer need.

Thanks

5. rzashida

rzashida New Member

Great information Fitzythird, I forgot that can be done. I remember that program from the early 2000, but I did not know it was still going on.

Fitzythird likes this.
  6. ozadin

ozadin Member

I keep it in one of my desks since I have no more use for them. However, recycling it and extracting the parts out of it and shipping it overseas is a great idea. I would love to support our soldiers, and I know how much family means to everyone, especially soldiers that have been on duty for years and haven't had a chance to talk with their family.

Thanks for sharing Fitzythird!

Fitzythird likes this.
  7. Fitzythird

Fitzythird Member

You and I both remember Iraq rzashida. After I did that post all "high and mighty", I found 3 cell phones around the house, in various drawers and dark places that have not made it to donation yet! I will take my kids this weekend and show them how important it to give something and shed my hypocrisy! My son seems to think there is another one kicking around.

rzashida likes this.
  8. Fitzythird

Fitzythird Member

9. Fitzythird

Fitzythird Member

I should have also included our European and Canadian friends on that. They too have many service people deployed and I'm sure have the same cell phone programs available for their service members. We are all in this, the fight against terrorism, together and we Americans should keep that in mind.

10. 3bie

3bie New Member

Depending on how long you wait, the decision on what to do with an old phone will change. If the old phone still has some value left in the market, a good last hurrah is to sell it as a used unit then use the proceeds to purchase the new unit. I change mine maybe every 3 to 4 years which is a good time in between new technologies to keep abreast. Another thing to do with old units is to keep one as a backup.

11. BigDreamer

BigDreamer New Member

I keep my old phone. I learned that the hard way when I gave my old one to a friend. A week later my new phone broke and I was without a phone for a week waiting to get it fixed. Now I always keep a backup!

12. Ricardo187

Ricardo187 New Member

Well, I save it in my house in-case I have problems with the current one. Examples are if it is stolen, broken, or simply out of batery and I need to leave home quickly. I have insurance on my cellphone, but all that process takes time, so it's always good to have an extra phone in stock. Hehe

13. KellyValentine

KellyValentine New Member

I usually sell mine online or keep it as a backup if something was to happen to my current phone. My iPhone recently just stopped charging and I had to order a new one. Which took about a week to come in. I wished I had my backup phone then but I let someone use it instead so I was out of luck.

14. BioLee

BioLee New Member

I usually just give my old phone to either one of my parents, which one needs it the most at the time. This way if there's a problem with my current one, I can always fall back to it and have it incase my new ones breaks.

15. pandandesign

pandandesign Member

I don't usually change phones unless the phone in which I'm having now is broken or unusable. I'm not much into fan smartphones or the latest mobile device. I use it for calling, texting, web browsing, and checking e-mail. When I purchase a new phone, I usually sell my old phone to one of the online stores. If the store doesn't accept my old phone, then I will keep it for emergency use or something.

16. escottdavilla

escottdavilla New Member

When I get a new phone, I typically do not get rid of the old one. I actually keep around, in the event that the new phone does not work for some reason. I also use the old phone for testing and development purposes if it’s an android device. If the phone is older than three years, I typically donate it to battered women’s shelters, or to people that are less fortunate and who really need a way to communicate.