Music What Is Happening To Music?

So Is It me or does ALL music these days sound exactly the same? I think the answer ton that is yes. All of the mainstream garbage sounds exactly the same and i am bored of it. I make music myself, and I love that, and when my stuff starts to sound anything like the rest of the music out there I always try to find a way to change it up.

it is hard to tell what genre is which these days too. I think that it all sounds very similar because most of today's artists are all using the same producers to produce their tracks. Every producer has a certain way of mixing and mastering their music.

I am an eclectic, so that means that I like all types of music. So have you heard any songs that differ from the mainstream machine just recently?

Everything on the radio sounds the same because they have found a formula that is pleasing to the greatest amount of people. I read an article about it a while ago, but over the ages pop music is increasingly getting more similar. This is just what sells, and this is why I can't listen to the radio very long without feeling crazy. I tend to only listen to it on short trips, or when I don't have my ipod. Otherwise, I think there is lots of great music out there that sounds very different. You just have to look in the right places.

I have, you just have to dig deeper and I mean a lot deeper for good music nowadays! Even if that means going to tiny gigs, you'll find something brilliant. I very rarely listen to mainstream music nowadays because there's literally nothing interesting at all!

It's you. People have been complaining about music getting worse all the time. It's just because you can't relate to new music anymore. Actually this is with a lot of things.

There has never been available a wider broadband of music than today.

It's you. People have been complaining about music getting worse all the time. It's just because you can't relate to new music anymore. Actually this is with a lot of things.

There has never been available a wider broadband of music than today.

Basically, this. If you don't go looking for music, you can't complain!

So Is It me or does ALL music these days sound exactly the same? I think the answer ton that is yes. All of the mainstream garbage sounds exactly the same and i am bored of it. I make music myself, and I love that, and when my stuff starts to sound anything like the rest of the music out there I always try to find a way to change it up.

it is hard to tell what genre is which these days too. I think that it all sounds very similar because most of today's artists are all using the same producers to produce their tracks. Every producer has a certain way of mixing and mastering their music.

I am an eclectic, so that means that I like all types of music. So have you heard any songs that differ from the mainstream machine just recently?

I agree with you... I really dislike nowadays music! Specially because I don't like to follow the trends and I don't seem to be inteterested in that ''magic formula'' of music everyone is talking about :p I just don't get it!

To be honest 90's music was WAAY better; back then it was like everyone was trying to be as original as possible! No one wanted to sound like everyone else; everyone was fighting to find their own sound. Now it'd seem as if everyone is trying to copy the style of a popular artist, so they can also be as popular as that artist. I blame all this on greediness! Music videos used to be way better back then, btw!

On the radios I can agree with all sounding the same, but I think it depends on where you're looking for the music, I can always find a similar sound in all the artists I'm listening to at the moment, for me at least, it just requires a bit of pop/rock/rap/r&b mixed with some electronic beats, and we're on, but I can agree it has been hard to find something to please my ear, and like you, I'm used to listen to every type of music available out there, what I think changed the most was the crowd, all teenagers want these days is skrillex or similar, bieber and one direction or similar, and once in a while, an alternative band that was so hyped as the previous and then it became 'cool' to listen to it, I think the hype created by the people listening to this was just too big and now the music scene became monopolized by these kinds of sounds/artists, I mean, dubstep is so hyped at the moment, worst of all is even the AD/movie industry now seems to don't recognize any type of sound that's not dubstep, and all those industries combined are destroying it, aswell as the other genres, the variations they're making on electronic music with so many crappy FX are like: no comments, I can only listen to classic beat dubstep if you ask me, but the same is happening in the pop world, I can hear pop, as long as it has something good in it, and not like, "i can be your boyfriend" or worse, "you're beautiful but I like you because you don't know" or whatever is the song like, I mean what the hell is this? lol, that's not pop if you ask me.

Oh God, don't even get me started on the monstrosity that is the majority of dubstep. As a music producer myself, I can completely respect how difficult and intricate Dubstep is to make. it is not just the same loop from bar to bar, and there are usually complex composition changes sometimes twice or more in a bar, and that is cool, but It just sounds like a whole load of emotional void to me, unless the song is a bit more chill and sounds like something more than someone banging a spoon against a metallic radiator lol.

It is always the same boring snare drums used too. After a while it gets hard to tell which artist is which. I mean, look at people like Usher and Chris Brown, who used to be more urban. Even they have sold out to this electro pop/house music and it just all sounds exactly the same. Ridiculous.

I do love me the Trip Hop genre of music, which is comprised of artists like Bjork and Amon Tobin and Air, and The Cinematic Orchestra - and that last band will make LOVE to your ears with their music. Eargasm lol. The reason why I love this genre is because you have free reign to be as dramatic or as crazy as you want to. The creative potential is limitless and no two songs EVER sound the same and they have a lot of depth at the same time.

I love Trip Hop! I had to study that during my Music Tech course and recreate another song(in this case we were given Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head) and make it into a Trip Hop genre song. It was actually quite fun. I'm presuming you listen to the likes of Portishead and Massive Attack then?

I also agree with what your saying about Dubstep. I probably don't pay enough attention to it, but Dubstep seems to sound very samey to me.

Music going up and down and its been this way for the past 40 years. It will get better and even 20 years from now, we will think that this music currently was good. Its just the way it is and will always be.