Nairi Tower of Shirin is coming to Nintendo Switch and PC at an unspecified date, but if you want, you can play a bit of it right now. A demo has just been released for Steam!
The Nairi mentioned in the title is a young spoiled woman who lives in the oasis city of Shirin. When a “sudden incident” separates her from her cushy life, she is forced to ally herself with the city’s seedy underbelly to survive, specifically with “gangster-turned-scholar” Rex (who is a literal rat).
Earlier, Kulienberg dropped a few hints about the plot: “The poor district is plagued by The White Mask, a criminal who seemingly brainwashes people. And then there’s a conflict which goes way beyond Nairi’s initial plight of simply returning home. There’s an ominous mystery surrounding the titular Tower of Shirin.”
- Gameplay blends several mechanics from the visual novel / point and click adventure genre.
- First-person perspective; lots of poignant dialogue with a host of gorgeous character portraits.
- Lots of puzzles which involve collecting, combining, giving or using items.
- Talk to characters and observe the environment for clues on how to progress.
- Music is directly composed by the writer of the game’s story and helps build atmosphere.
- No long or obvious tutorials or constant exposition during dialogue.
Nairi Tower of Shirin currently has no release date, but if there’s already a demo, we’re assuming it will be out soon. Play Nairi for yourself by heading to this Steam page.