Tech How often do you get a new phone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lindbergh, Aug 12, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh
    Expand Collapse

I think that the mobile phone industry is moving faster and faster every year. Back in the early 2000s when Nokia was still the king, I remember phones lasting for more than 1 year. Now, because there's a lot of manufacturers, there's a new phone being released every other month. So, with new technology always there for the taking, how often do you buy a new phone?

2. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1
    Expand Collapse

The last time I got a new phone was in 2011. Mines fine for what i want it to do so I don't feel a need to change it.

My mum hasn't had a new phone since 2003 and it's still working fine!

3. tvjunkie

tvjunkie
    Expand Collapse

I get a new phone every two years. I know it should be every year if I really want to keep up with technology, but there are so many other things that I need to buy so every two years is enough.

4. bknight

bknight
    Expand Collapse

As I like to always buy high-end models, I would probably say, 3-4yr each phone, gonna make that initial investment work, for me, it's not worth buying a phone which is released for more than half a year even if it still seems quite good imo, all people still wanting to buy the iphone 4, and trust me I know plenty of them, need to seriously think their tech knowledge, and that's just one example.

5. twistedyees8787

twistedyees8787
    Expand Collapse

I am pretty good with keeping phones "clean" and not broken. I use a case which helps more than you will think. But I probably average a new phone every 20+ months or so. I guess it all depends on the usage and your plan as well.

Soon all phones will be waterproof!

6. zambothegreat

zambothegreat
    Expand Collapse

Hah, I've only had 2 cell phones in my life, and I'm still using the 2nd one. I recently found my first Samsung flip phone, and after plugging it into the charger, it still worked perfect. The only reason why I switched phones was because of a cheaper plan with another provider, and the fact that the phone I have now has a physical keyboard, which I much prefer over the standard number pad and touch screen for texting.

7. tribie

tribie
    Expand Collapse

I only get a new phone when the previous one breaks down or has become difficult to use. Sometimes I don't even get a new one but rather a second hand phone from a friend or family member. I honestly don't see the point in spending too much money on phones since I just mostly send messages with it. I have a tablet to do the other things people do with their phones.

8. rzashida

rzashida
    Expand Collapse

I haven't been the same since my trusty IPhone broke. I've tried at least 3 phones in one year. My iPhone keep me organized, I am getting another and sticking to it.

9. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1
    Expand Collapse

Oh, i'm glad to hear i'm not the only one who doesn't change their phone every month! This is great to see.

10. lindbergh

lindbergh
    Expand Collapse

3 phones in one year? Wow. What did you ever do with them? How many phones do you have right now? I currently have three but they were accumulated throughout the years. Now, I plan to dispose of one of my phones and I'd try not to purchase a new one this year.

11. Jellyfish

Jellyfish
    Expand Collapse

I have a regular phone but no mobile phone. Just don't need one and don't know why people are so crazy about them.

12. ozadin

ozadin
    Expand Collapse

I get a phone when I feel like the time is right. One example would probably be my previous phone, where I had to charge my phone every single day because the battery was running out in a matter of hours. It was just deemed unusable by me, and that's when I felt like I needed an upgrade.

13. pandandesign

pandandesign
    Expand Collapse

I don't usually change phones unless the phone I'm having is broken or acting strange. I would say at least 3 to 4 years before I am going to get a new phone. I'm not a big fan of buying fancy phones like some people do. I own a tablet, and a cheaper smartphone will do because I mainly use my phone for calling, texting, and checking e-mails.

14. OhioTom76

OhioTom76
    Expand Collapse

I try to get two years use out of my phones before replacing them. I refuse to get into the trap of updating my phone every 8-12 months. I just wish they would keep these older phones up to date with the OS. This has almost made me want to switch over to a Windows Phone.

15. silv31

silv31
    Expand Collapse

Every 5 years or so. I refuse to update my phone unless it breaks. I don't use my phone much anyway. I only use it for calling and texting. I don't even check e-mails on it because I usually check them on my laptop. I've seen people in my age group being obsessed with updating their mobile phones and they are always using them. Personally, I don't understand what's the fuss about it.

16. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1
    Expand Collapse

I just replaced my Nokia last year and finally got a smart phone. I don't rush out to buy the latest because in about 6 months to a year, its the old phone. The mobile phones industry has come a long way in a short time, but the main reason to have a phone is to simply make and receive calls.

17. EileenCruz

EileenCruz
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't need to have the latest model. I'll be on an iPhone 5 for awhile still.

18. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins
    Expand Collapse

I really do not get a phone that often. I like to stick with what works and I live by this quote: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." My trusty Phone works wonders and I have had it for the past 2 years at this point.

19. jurew2

jurew2
    Expand Collapse

When I was younger I got a new phone every 2 years or so, because I always got an used phone that couldn't work as it should for longer than that. After a little while I started to buy new phones and I started to change the phones every 3 or 4 years. Right now, I have a phone that is 3 and a half years old and it still functions well, so I'll hold on it for a little longer, for an another year at least. I don't really see the point of changing the phone every year like some people do, just because they think that the phone is out dated.

20. Nick

Nick
    Expand Collapse

I've had the same phone going on 4 years now. Needless to say, I don't upgrade my phone unless I absolutely have to!